How to transfer car registration from one city to another

People moving from one city to another requires their car to be registered in the city they are moving to. The transfer registration process is simple and hassle-free if you follow the right procedure. The steps involved in the interstate car registration transfer process are:

Step 1 – Obtain a No Objection Certificate from the Bank 

If you have availed a loan to finance your car, you will first need to contact your bank and get NOC (No Objection Certificate) from them. For this, you will need to visit the bank and submit a certain set of documents such as the address proof of the new location, reason for the transfer, etc. The bank will then verify your application of transfer and if all the documents are legitimate, they will grant you the NOC. 

Step 2 – Get a NOC from the RTO where your Vehicle was Registered

After receiving the NOC from the lender, the next step will be to obtain a NOC (No Objection Certificate) from the Regional Transport Office where your car has been registered. For this, Form 27 and Form 28 need to be submitted along with the copy of the NOC obtained from the bank and the below-listed documents:

  • NOC application for transferring your vehicle from one city to another
  • Next, you will have to submit the documents such as registration certificate, insurance policy documents, tax documents, PUC certificate
  • Chassis imprint from the vehicle
  • Copies of CMV (Central Motor Vehicle) Form 28

Step 3 – Re-Register Your Vehicle in the New City

After transferring your car, the first step you will have to take is to re-register your car in the new city. Most of the RTOs give customers time of 6 months to a year to carry out the process of registration. Make sure that you complete the process before the NOC expires.

For the registration, you will first need to locate your nearest RTO office and submit your application along with the following documents:

  • A copy of original RC
  • A copy of car insurance
  • A copy of the No Objection Certificates you have already received from your lender, previous RTO, etc.
  • Form 29 and Form 30 for re-registration of your car
  • Emission test certificate
  • Photo ID and local address proof
  • Applicable fees like road tax, octroi charges

After submitting the above-mentioned documents, the RTO will process your application and issue you with the fresh certification within a few days. 

Step 4: Refund of road tax

If you have paid a lifetime road tax in the previous city, you can file for a refund. For this, first, re-register your car in the new city and then file for a refund from the RTO, where you originally registered your vehicle. Given below is the process that you need to have to undergo to get a refund of the road tax. You will need to submit the following documents:

  • Tax refund application
  • Self-attested RTO Form 16
  • Copy of RC along with the newly obtained registration number
  • Copy of RC along with the previous application number
  • Insurance certificate with a new registration number
  • Identification proof
  • Address proof

After submitting the documents, the documents are submitted, both the RTOs- handling the old and new registration will contact each other to authenticate whether the re-registration is complete. The RTO of original registration will then request for a CRTI. CRTI will then initiate the process of refunding the road tax. The whole process is lengthy and could take up to 6 months to get a refund.

Step 5: Cancellation of NOC if you have decided not to move your vehicle

If you have decided not to relocate to another city for some reason, then you need to apply for the cancellation of the NOC, by following the steps mentioned below.

  • Obtain a NUC (Non-Utilization Certificate) of NOC from the RTO where you got your NOC initially. This certification validates the reason for not continuing the process of transferring the registration and cancellation of the NOC.
  • Next, you need to get an Affidavit stating the reason and certifying that there is no misuse of the vehicle and you want to cancel the NOC.