Driving License application process in Delhi
If you wish to apply for a driving license in Delhi, you can do it online or offline according to your convenience. To help you apply for the driving license in Delhi in a hassle-free way, we are presenting you with a detailed guide that will take you through the whole step-by-step process.
Types of driving license in Delhi
- Learner’s/learning license: Before obtaining a permanent driving license in Delhi, an applicant needs to apply for a learner’s license first. This is a temporary license with a validity of 6 months. It is issued when the applicant is in the process of learning a motor vehicle.
- Permanent driving license: After 1 month of getting a learner’s license, you can apply for a permanent license.
- Driving license for motorcycles without gear: You can apply for this kind of permanent driving license if you wish to ride a scooter or moped that does not have a manual gearbox. The applicants should be at least 16 years of age to procure such license.
- Driving license for light motor vehicle: This class of driving license can be applied by the people who are willing to drive a light motor vehicle such as bikes or cars. To get this license, an applicant must be at least 18 years old.
- Driving license for transport vehicles: The individuals who want to drive carrier vehicles such as private service vehicles, trucks, taxis, etc can apply for this driving license. The applicants who are at least 21 years old are eligible to apply for this license.
Eligibility criteria to apply for driving license in Delhi
To apply for a driving license in Delhi, you need to meet the below-mentioned eligibility:
- You should be of minimum 18 years old
- You should hold a valid learning license
- You can give an application for obtaining a permanent driving license only after 30 days or within 180 days of obtaining a learner’s license
- Should know all the traffic rules and regulations
- Must be at least 20 years old for a commercial driving license
Documents required for driving license in Delhi
- Medical certificate
- Physical fitness declaration
- Driving license application form
- Learning license copy
- Passport-sized photographs
- Age and address proofs such as PAN card, birth certificate, school certificate, ration card, voter’s ID, utility bills, life insurance policy, Aadhaar card, etc
- Citizenship proof
- Physically challenged certificate
- No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the issuing authority, if renewing/applying for a duplicate driving license from another state
- Application fee
The process to apply for a driving license in Delhi
In the state of Delhi, you can easily apply for a driving license by following two modes i.e. online and offline. The process for both is explained below in detail.
- Visit the state's transport website at https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/ and download the application form for driving license.
- Fill the form and submit it at the nearest RTO along with the supporting documents
- If you do not have a learner’s license, you can book a slot for a learner’s license test. For this, you will have to select the district and the test centre where you wish to take the test
- Click on the submit button to get a copy of the application form. Go to the test centre on the prescribed date along with a printout of your application form and other required documents
- To apply for a driving license via an offline mode in Delhi, you need to follow the below procedure. Please note, applicants are eligible to apply for a permanent driving license after holding a learner’s license for 30 days.
- Get an application form no 4 from the nearest RTO. Fill and submit it with relevant documents
- If you are applying for a commercial driving license, you will also need to submit form 5 i.e. driving certificate issued by a driving school or establishment
- Also, you would be required to pay a small fee of Rs. 400 to the RTO
- After that, an RTO official will assign a slot to you to undergo a driving license test. On passing the test, you will receive your driving license via post within 2-3 weeks
Steps to check driving license application status in Delhi
To check your driving license application status in Delhi, you need to follow the below-mentioned procedure.
Checking the driving license status online
Step 1: Visit the website of the Transport Department of Delhi at https://sarathi.parivahan.gov.in/sarathiservice/stateSelection
Step 2: Then, you would be asked some details such as driving license number, date of birth, and verification code
Step 3: After entering the above-mentioned details, press on “Check Status” to know more about the status of your application.
Step 4: You have entered the correct details; the portal will display information about the present status of your driving license application.
Checking the driving license status offline
Applicants can also check their driving license status by visiting their nearest Regional Transport Office in Delhi. To know the present application status, you would need to provide necessary information which includes your learner’s license number and the application number.
How can you make corrections in your driving license online?
If the applicants wish to make any changes in their driving license such as misspelled names, or address printed on their license, they need to forward a written application along with the relevant documents with the correct information. Remember, this can only be done in the same RTO which issued your original license. Once approved, you can collect your license with the correct information on the same day. You will be charged a small fee for this which you need to check with your RTO.
How to apply for a duplicate driving license?
If your driving license has been stolen or misplaced, you can issue a duplicate driving license by contacting your issuing authority who issued your original driving license first. If your license is lost and is already expired by more than six months, in that case, you need authorization from the Head Quarter of the Transport Department.
Documents required to obtain a duplicate license
- Application in Form LLD
- FIR or NCR of your lost/ stolen license
- Challan clearance report from Traffic Police (if it was a commercial driving license),
- A fee of Rs. 400
- Form No 1 (which is self-declaration of Physical Fitness) and residence proof
All the documents of which you present the photocopies needs to be attested by Notary Public or Gazetted Officer.
Driving license renewal in Delhi
If your driving license has expired, you need to renew it again within 30 days from the date of expiry. You can get it renewed either online or offline by following the simple application process given below.
To renew your license online in Delhi, you need to follow these steps:
- To get the license renewed, visit the official website of the Delhi Transport Department at https://transport.delhi.gov.in/content/driving-licence
- Fill the online application form and attach all the supporting documents
- Pay the required fees i.e. Rs. 200 to apply for a smart card driving license along with an additional fee of Rs. 1,000 (each year is applicable)
- Once your documents will be verified, you will be issued the new driving license
- To renew your license offline, follow these steps-
- Visit your nearest RTO office and collect the application form for driving license renewal (i.e. application from 9)
- Fill the details and submit it to the officer-in-charge
- Produce the original documents for verification and on successful verification, your driving license will be renewed
Documents required for driving license renewal in Delhi-
For private license
- Application in Form No 9
- Two copies of recent passport size photographs
- Photocopy of your original driving license
- Self-Attested copies of Valid Proof of age and residence
- Form No. 1 self-declaration of physical fitness
- Prescribed fee
- Valid Medical Certificate in form No. 1A (In case of applicants of age above 40 years)
For commercial license
- All the above documents as required in the private license
- Valid Medical Certificate in form No. 1A
- Driver refreshing Training certificate in case of Heavy motor vehicles
- One day/short period Refresher Training course for all other categories of commercial vehicles
The test procedure for driving license in Delhi
In Delhi, a driving license test as conducted as per rule 15 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. The test procedure for two, three, and four-wheelers are given below-
The test procedure for Two-wheelers and three-wheelers
- The two-wheeler and three-wheeler test in Delhi involve two tests i.e. the ground test and road test.
- In the ground test, you will be asked to drive along with the marked figure of ‘8’ or the ‘Straight T’ test. This is done to check how good you are with reversing and shifting gears of the vehicle
- The road test is conducted to check if you comply with traffic rules and regulations while driving the vehicle
- If the motor vehicle inspector is satisfied with your driving skills and knowledge about traffic rules, then, you will be issued your driving license otherwise you will again have to reappear for the test again after a week
The test procedure for Four-Wheelers
- The four-wheeler test in Delhi involves two tests i.e. the ground test and the road test
- In the ground test, you will be asked to drive along the marked ‘Straight T’ line and then a ‘U’ turn
- In the road test, you will be asked to drive the vehicle. Here, your knowledge about traffic rules and regulations will be tested
- The test will be conducted in the presence of a motor vehicle inspector
- If the motor vehicle inspector is satisfied with your driving skills and knowledge about traffic rules, then, you will be issued your driving license otherwise you will again have to reappear for the test.