Link Aadhaar to Income Tax Return
From July 1, 2017, it has become a mandate to link Aadhaar or Aadhaar enrollment ID with your ITR form. Aadhaar card is a compulsory document considered at the time of filing ITR return and PAN application form. According to Aadhaar Act, 2016, Section 139AA of the Income Tax Act, it is not applicable for all those who are residing outside India.
Exemption from linking of PAN and Aadhaar
- It is compulsory to link PAN and Aadhaar only to those individuals who are eligible for obtaining Aadhaar. All those who are exempted from this rule are:
- NRIs, OCIs, POIs, etc. who do not reside in India but are operating their businesses from India.
- All the Foreign Nationals who are living in India are also not having a compulsion to link PAN and Aadhaar.
- Taxpayers of Meghalaya, Jammu& Kashmir and Assam are also exempted from linking their Aadhaar and PAN.
- All those senior citizens who are above 80 years of age are also not having any compulsion of linking PAN with Aadhaar.
Process of Linking Aadhaar to Income Tax Returns
The Government has made the process easier to link both PAN and Aadhaar for filing Income Tax Return. People get their Aadhaar documents linked online via SMS.
Steps are as follows:
The taxpayer is required to send a message UIDPAN<12 Digit Aadhaar> <10 Digit PAN> and the message must be sent either to 567678 or 56161.
The Process to link PAN and Aadhaar online
To link PAN and Aadhaar online for filing Income Tax Return (ITR) filing is very simple procedure. One need to follow the steps mentioned below:
- Visit the ITR e-filing website https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in
- Click on the Link Aadhaar option in the Services section.
- Enter your PAN number
- Provide your Aadhaar number
- Enter your name as per the Aadhaar card.
- Tick the square if only your birth year is mentioned in your Aadhaar card as the date of birth.
- Enter the verification code and click on the Link Aadhaar button.
Following certain steps will make your Aadhaar will be linked instantly with your PAN. Linking will not be done in case details such as name, date of birth and gender do not match in both PAN and Aadhaar.
To have same details in both PAN and Aadhaar card, first a person needs to get detail corrected and same in both documents.
How to Rectify Issues in Linking PAN and Aadhaar
The main reason that create a problem in linking Aadhaar and PAN is creation of errors in the spelling of your name and gender of birth. Having these errors can lead to a serious issue in case you want to link your Aadhaar and PAN.
The Process to correct errors in PAN Card
- To get your PAN card details corrected, you need to follow certain steps followed:
- Login to the https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/changerequest.html
- Select Changes or Correction in Existing PAN Data / Reprint of PAN Card option from the drop-down list in Application Type section.
- Choose your category as Individual.
- Fill all the required details in the form.
- Click on the Submit button.
- After that, submission of relevant documents authenticating your request in the form.
- A fee of Rs 107 is also required to be submitted in case the address of communication is within India and Rs 989 must be submitted in case the address of communication is outside India.
- The updated PAN card will be delivered to the address within 45 days of application.
Process to correct errors in Aadhaar Card
- Log in to UIDAI’s Self Service Update Portal https://ssup.uidai.gov.in/web/guest/update.
- To log in , it is a must to enter your Aadhaar number and the OTP which is being sent to your registered mobile number.
- In the Data Update Request section, apply for Aadhar correction/update of your data.
- In the Documents Upload section, upload relevant documents in support of your application.
- In BPO Service Provider Selection section, choose a team that will help you in rectification of errors.
- Once resolved, you can easily get your PAN and Aadhaar linked so that your Income Tax is processed without any hassle.