How to open PPF account online
The Public Provident Fund account is one of the most popular long-term savings investments and savings products. Anyone willing to open a PPF account can easily open it online by following the below-mentioned steps.
- Firstly, you need to log in to your net banking portal.
- Next, click on the option ‘Open a new PPF account’.
- Certain financial institutions will give you two options from which you need to choose only one i.e. self-account or a minor account.
- After choosing the relevant option, you need to fill the nominee as well as the bank details. Certain details such as your Permanent Account Number (PAN) will be displayed. You need to verify all the details displayed on the screen.
- Once the details have been entered, you need to enter the amount that you want to deposit in the PPF account.
- Standing instructions can also be set-up at certain financial institutions so that the money can be automatically deposited in intervals or a lump-sum.
- Depending on the financial institution, the next step would be to enter the OTP sent on your registered mobile number.
- Once the above step is complete, the PPF account will be created. You can make a note of the account number that is displayed on the screen for future reference.
- You also need to take a print-out of the details that have been entered along with the reference number and submit it at your preferred financial institution with the Know Your Customer (KYC) details.
Mandatory requirements to open a PPF account online
- The individual must have a savings account with the respective bank.
- The Net banking facility must be activated.
- The Aadhaar number must be linked to the savings account.
- The individual’s mobile number must be linked to the Aadhaar.
Eligibility to open a PPF account
- Only Indian residents can open a PPF account.
- In case a Non-Resident Indian (NRI) has opened an account while he/she was an Indian resident, the account can be continued for 15 years i.e. till maturity.
- Hindu Undivided Families (HUFs) are not allowed to open a PPF account.
- An individual can have only one account under his/her name.
- Individuals can open a PPF account on behalf of a minor as well.
The following documents need to be produced at the time of activation of a public provident fund account –
- KYC documents verifying the identity of an individual, such as Aadhaar, Voter ID, Driver’s License, etc.
- PAN card
- Residential address proof
- Form for nominee declaration
- Your passport sized photographs