Best places to visit Colombo
Colombo is the gateway to Sri Lanka for most travelers—but don’t be tempted to simply pass through this diverse and interesting city. Take a train ride along the coast to Mount Lavinia, a popular beach, or explore the Talangama Wetland. It is a perfect place to take a break from the bustling streets of the city and plan your vacations here.
Sri Lanka, the beautiful tropical island, has got a varied climate due to two monsoon seasons hitting the island. The best time to visit Colombo can be chosen by the traveler based on the places of interest or the activities they are interested to do in the city.
Best time to visit Colombo
The best time to visit Colombo is the dry season between January and March. The best season to visit Colombo if one is planning to explore the west and south coasts and the mountain country is northeast monsoon which is from November to February. The city of Colombo experiences sporadic rains around the year, except the dry season. This is the coolest time of the year and the humidity levels are low, making it an ideal time to enjoy sightseeing in Colombo.
How to reach Colombo from India?
Taking a flight from Delhi, Mumbai, or Chennai to Colombo is the best way to reach the capital of Sri Lanka. It takes less than 2 hours to travel from Chennai to Colombo.
Major tour attractions in Columbo
- Old Parliament Building – Take A Plunge into The History
- World Trade Centre – Most Eco-Friendly Building
- Laksala – Best Souvenir Shop
- Khan Clock Tower – A Colombo Landmark
- Asokaramaya Buddhist Temple – Bow, Pray & Meditate
- Wolvendaal Church – Finest Dutch Architectures
- Colombo Lotus Tower – Beauty Not to Be Missed
- Sri Lanka Planetarium – Haven for Astronomy Lovers
- Sri Ponnambala Koneswaram Kovil – Top Hindu Temple
- National Art Gallery – A Perfect Place for Art Lovers
- Crow Island Beach Park – Newest Parks of Colombo
- Sambodhi Chaithya – Admire the Beauty of The Stupa
- Slave Island – Former Prison
- Beddagana Wetland Park – A Colorful Place to Explore
- Diyatha Uyana – Explore 3D Art
- Bellanwila Rajamaha Viharaya – Most-Visited Temple
- Kelaniya Raja Maha Vihara – Landmark of Cultural Charm
- Seema Malaka – Ideal for a Peaceful Getaway
- Bally’s Casino – Try Your Luck
- Colombo Dutch Museum – Know More About the History
- St. Lucia’s Cathedral – Pray for Everyone’s Well-Being
- Galle Face Green – Explore the Shimmering Coastline
- The Independence Square – Historical Landmark Of Colombo
- Jami Ul-Alfar Mosque – Let Red & White Stripes Baffle You
- National Museum of Colombo – Admire the Art Collection
- Beira Lake – End the Day with a Romantic Sunset
- Viharamahadevi Park – Perfect for Recreational Activities
- Gangaramaya Buddhist Temple – Gape at The Architecture
- Attidiya Bird Sanctuary – Ideal for Flora & Fauna Lovers
- Mount Lavinia – Stay at A Heritage Hotel
- Dehiwala Zoo – Meet the Animals
- Old Galle Buck Lighthouse – Enjoy the Panoramic Views
- Traditional Puppet Art Museum – Enjoy Sri Lankan Culture
- Casino Marina – Get Some Money Out of Your Pocket
Tourism of Sri Lanka attracts the heart of every tourist with its serene beaches, historical monuments, golden desert, quiet backwater, pilgrimage sites, rich wildlife, and colorful fairs.