Surrender Your PAN Card

A PAN (Permanent Account Number) is a unique identification number which consists of 10 digits and is being allotted to every taxpayer. Everyone holds one PAN Card for the lifetime. Due to the duplicity, in that case, if you wish to make surrender of duplicate PAN Card, process  is the same as mentioned below.

How to surrender PAN Card online

  • Log in to the website of NSDL.
  • From the drop-down of “Application Type’’, select the category ‘’ Changes or correction in existing PAN Card/ reprint of PAN Card (No changes in existing PAN Data)’’ option.
  • After filling out the form, click on the ‘submit’ button. After you submit the form, request regarding PAN Card you have made will be registered as a token number. Details of the same will be also sent to your registered email address.
  • One needs to keep in mind the token number for future references and continue with the process by clicking the’ Continue with PAN application form’ button.
  • After clicking on the button of the ‘PAN application form’, you will be directed to the new webpage. On top of new webpage, select “submit scanned images with an option of e-sign.
  • At the bottom-left on the page, one should mention details about the PAN Number that you want to retain.
  • After that,  the applicant needs to fill out the personal details including contact details and other details in the form.
  • At the bottom of the next page,  the applicant needs to mention the details of additional PAN cards that he or she wants to surrender and then click on ‘Next Button’
  • After that in the next screen,  the applicant needs to select options such as identity proof, residence, and date of birth.
  • The next step, after that, is uploading the scanned images of signature, required documents, and photographs.
  • If an individual is requesting a strong>PAN Card surrender, then, in that case,  the individual needs to sign the acknowledgment receipt or it must be signed by authorized signatories. For instance,  the Director in the case of a company and partner in the case of a partnership firm/LLP.
  • Review the application, after submitting the details. Before making payment, verification of details needs to be done.
  • After doing verification of the details,  the applicant needs to make the payment via credit card, debit card or internet banking.
  • After the applicant makes a successful payment, acknowledgment of the same will be given to the applicant. Save and print the acknowledgment for future reference and as a proof of payment.
  • Applicant after that, needs to send the acknowledgment to NSDL e- Gov along with the attachment of two photographs.
  • On the envelope of ‘Acknowledgment copy, Title should be mentioned is ‘Application for PAN Cancellation’. Along with acknowledgement, the demand draft (if required) and the required documents (proof of an existing PAN (if any), proof of (identity, address and date of birth)) to the following address:

NSDL e-Gov at ‘Income Tax PAN Services Unit,
NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited,
5th Floor, Mantri Sterling,
Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8,
Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk,
Pune – 411 016.

Process to surrender duplicate PAN Card- offline

STEP 1 - To check PAN Status online, you can check the following link :

STEP 2 - Submit the PAN form to the nearest NSDL collection Centre along with the attachment of necessary supporting documents.

Download Surrender Duplicate PAN Card Application Form

STEP 3: Once the applicant submitted the document, he or she receives an acknowledgment slip, which is to be sent to the office of NSDL. The letter should reach to the NSDL office within 15 days of filing the request.

STEP 4: Apart from following the above steps, one also needs to file a letter with the Assessing officer listing the duplicate PAN details and at the same time, making a request for the cancellation. Based on request, the assessing officer may also ask for a demand draft for making an affidavit which states that an individual does not have any other PAN card except the one which is in use.

The applicant may also make a visit to  the nearest Income Tax Assessing officer that falls under his or her jurisdiction and submit the letter. After that, post or hand over the letter to the nearest tax office and save the acknowledgment number.

What are the different scenarios of PAN Card surrender?


Surrender PAN card of a deceased individual

In case of a death of a PAN Cardholder, relatives of a deceased individual need to give in writing to the Income Tax officer of deceased ‘s jurisdiction with the mentioning of reason of surrender of PAN Card ((i.e. death of the holder) along with providing of the death certificate.

Other required details are:

  • Name of deceased
  • PAN Card number
  • Date of Birth etc.

Note: The process to surrender PAN card is same in case of the demise of Indian residents, NRIs as well as foreign nationals.

Surrender PAN Card for a firm/partnership or a company

Online Process

  • Log into the website of the National Securities Depository Limited (NSDL).
  • After that, fill the online form with the details such as; PAN number which he or she wants to cancel in item 11 of the form.
  • Review the form properly and after that proceed to make the payment of the desired amount via credit card/ debit card or net banking.
  • Take a printout of acknowledgment slip which one receives after submitting the form.
  • Enclosed the receipt of acknowledgment with the dissolution deed (in case the company is dissolving) and a copy of the PAN card that a firm/ partnership or a company wishes to surrender.
  • Make sure that a covering letter should be there at the time of surrendering a PAN Card.
  • Post the envelope at the address of the “NSDL e-Gov at Income Tax PAN Services Unit” along with the required necessary documents. You will receive a notification once the request has been processed.


Letter needs to be sent to the Income Tax officer, under whose jurisdiction firm, company or partnership was filing its taxes. In that letter, it is necessary to state that the firm/company is being dissolved, thus the PAN card is being surrendered.

What all need to be enclosed along with the letter?

  • Copy of the deed stating that the firm/company is being dissolved, the PAN card and an acknowledgment of the return that is being filed for the period of discontinuation.
  • The letter and other documents shall be submitted to the Income Tax Officer and one should retain the acknowledgment received in return.


Ø  Indian Citizens should not surrender the PAN card which is already in use and serve as a valid identity proof.

Ø  In the case of Foreign Nationals, who are now leaving India,  they are not required to pay taxes to the Indian Government. Such individuals can give in writing to the Income Tax officer of their respective jurisdiction for surrendering their PAN Card.  They need to mention about the reason of surrendering the PAN card.