Driving License application process in Andhra Pradesh
Procuring a driving license in Andhra Pradesh is fairly an easy task if you are aware of the correct application process. The people who are residing in the state of Andhra Pradesh can easily apply for a driving license online either from the state's transport department website or through offline mode as per their convenience. In this guide, we have provided you with all the necessary details on how to obtain a driving license in Andhra Pradesh.
Before starting with the application procedure of getting a driving license in Andhra Pradesh, first, you should be aware of what types of driving license you can apply for in the respective state. The details of the same are mentioned below.
Types of driving license in Andhra Pradesh
The below mentioned are the different categories of driving license which you can apply in the state of Andhra Pradesh:
- Learner’s/learning license: Before obtaining a permanent driving license in Andhra Pradesh, an applicant needs to apply for a learner’s license first. This is a temporary license with a validity of 6 months. It is issued when the applicant is in the process of learning a motor vehicle.
- Permanent driving license: After 1 month of getting a learner’s license, you can apply for a permanent license.
- Driving license for motorcycles without gear: You can apply for this kind of permanent driving license if you wish to ride a scooter or moped that does not have a manual gearbox. The applicants should be at least 16 years of age to procure such kind of a license.
- Driving license for light motor vehicle: This class of driving license can be applied by the people who are willing to drive a light motor vehicle such as bikes or cars. To get this license, an applicant must be at least 18 years old.
- Driving license for transport vehicles: The individuals who want to drive carrier vehicles such as private service vehicles, trucks, taxis, etc can apply for this driving license. The applicants who are at least 21 years old are eligible to apply for this license.
Andhra Pradesh driving license eligibility criteria
- To apply for a driving license in Andhra Pradesh, you need to meet the below-mentioned eligibility:
- You should be of minimum 18 years old
- You should hold a learning license
- The applicant should apply for a driving license 30 days after getting a learning license and within 180 days of the date of the issue mentioned on your learner’s licence
- Should know all the traffic rules and regulations
- Must be at least 20 years old for a commercial driving license
Documents required for driving license in Andhra Pradesh
Applicants need to submit the following documents at their respective RTO:
- All the documents of the vehicle
- Duly filled application form which you can download from the Andhra Pradesh Transport Organization web portal
- Four passport size photographs
- Medical certificate in Form 1 A and 1 issued by any certified Government doctor, if applicable.
- Valid age proof - passport, PAN card, etc.
- Valid identity proof - Voter ID, Passport or Aadhaar card
- Proof of address
- Application Fees
Besides the above-mentioned documents, you may be asked to submit some additional documents depending on your profile. For this, you need to enquire with the nearest RTO office before submitting your application form for Driving License.
The process to apply for a driving license in Andhra Pradesh
The applicants who wish to apply for a driving license in Andhra Pradesh can apply for the same online by using the state's online portal. Here, you can have a look at the detailed process of applying online for a driving license-
- Visit the state's transport website at https://www.aptransport.org/ and download the application form for driving license
- Fill the form and submit it at the nearest RTO along with the supporting documents.
- If you do not have a learner’s license, you can book a slot for a learner’s license test. For this, you will have to select the district and the test centre where you wish to take the test.
- Click on the submit button to get a copy of the application form. Go to the test centre on the prescribed date along with a printout of your application form and other required documents.
To apply for a driving license via an offline mode in Andhra Pradesh, you need to follow the below procedure. Please note, applicants are eligible to apply for a permanent driving license after holding a learner’s license for 30 days.
Get an application form no 4 from the nearest RTO. Fill and submit it with relevant documents
If you are applying for a commercial driving license, you will also need to submit form 5 i.e. driving certificate issued by a driving school or establishment.
Also, you would be required to pay a small fee of Rs. 200 to the RTO.
After that, an RTO official will assign a slot to you to undergo a driving license test. On passing the test, you will receive your driving license via post within 2-3 weeks.
Steps to check driving license application status in Andhra Pradesh
Applicants can check the status of their driving license application in Andhra Pradesh easily through the online portal and via an offline mode. Follow the below-mentioned steps to check your driving license application status:
Checking the driving license status online
Step 1: Visit the website of the Transport Department of Andhra Pradesh at https://www.aptransport.org/. Then, go to the “Document Delivery Services” page.
Step 2: Enter “License” as the module type. You can follow up on your driving license application using your license number, the application number, or a learning license number, whichever is suitable.
Step 3: After entering the above-mentioned details, press on “Get Details” to know more about the status of your application.
Step 4: You have entered the correct details, the portal will display information about the present status of your driving license application, EMS number, date of driving license card dispatch, date of driving license card print, and also if the card is printed.
Checking the driving license status offline
Applicants can also check the status of their driving license application by visiting their nearest Regional Transport Office in Andhra Pradesh. To know the status, you would need to provide necessary information which includes your learner’s license number and the application number.
How to make corrections in your driving license?
For individuals who wish to change or update some information such as the name, address, or make any other relevant corrections in their driving license copy, just follow the simple steps given below.
- The request for corrections in your driving license can be requested at the RTO who issued it.
- To change your name in the driving license, you must present the marriage certificate and other relevant documents.
- To change your address, copies of proof of residence or place of business should be produced. Original documents will be asked for verification.
- The applicant must also produce the original copy of their existing driving license.
- An application for a change of information in a driving license can be made in the plain paper by also affixing a non-judicial court fee stamp to the licensing authority.
- The applicant needs to present the application for change of information at the concerned RTO and get the application approved by the Regional Transport Officer.
- After getting approved for the change of information, a receipt would be offered which can be produced as temporary driving license proof.
- The new driving license with updated information will be sent to you through the post.
How to apply for a duplicate driving license?
- If in the case you have lost your driving license and wish to apply for a duplicate driving license, then you can do so by submitting an LLD form to the concerned RTO. You need to follow these simple steps:
- The driving license holder needs to fill the LLD form and submit it to the RTO where the driving license was obtained or where it was last renewed.
- Along with the LLD form, the driving license holder also needs to submit the three copies of recent passport-sized photographs and appropriate fees as mentioned in the APMV rulebook.
- If the request for a duplicate driving license is made in Form 7, the applicant will have to pay a nominal fee of Rs. 40.
- The applicant will also have to present the original copy of their driving license while applying for a duplicate copy.
Driving license renewal in Andhra Pradesh
- If your driving license has expired, you need to renew it again within 30 days from the date of expiry. You can get it renewed in the concerned RTO office by following the simple procedure given below.
- Applicants need to submit Form 9 at the RTO which issued the driving license or the licensing authority having jurisdiction over the residential area of the applicant.
- Along with the application form for renewal, the applicant must also submit a fee as mentioned in Rule 32 in CMV rules.
- Also, you would need to submit your three recent passport-sized photographs along with the application if the renewal is made in form 6.
- You will also have to present your original driving license along with other necessary documents.
- Medical certificates as mentioned in Form 1A must be presented along with a declaration as in Form 1.
- The concerned RTO will validate and approve your application for driving license renewal and the new driving license will be sent to the residence of the applicant through the post.
You need to follow a below-mentioned test procedure to obtain a driving license in Andhra Pradesh:
- For undergoing the driving test, the Andhra Pradesh transport department offers four different tracks- Nagole Driving test facility, Kondapur Driving test facility, Gannavaram Nagole Driving test facility, and Ampapuram Nagole Heavy Vehicle Driving test facility.
- Applicants can choose their nearest test location to appear for the test.
- Then they need to appear for the test at the selected location at the scheduled place and time.
- The applicant will be asked to drive a motor vehicle in the presence of a Motor Vehicle Inspector who will be responsible to check your driving skills and decide whether the individual is qualified to obtain a driving license or not.
- Besides the driving test, the applicant will also have to take a test regarding road signals and road safety and must pass this test to qualify for getting a driving license.
- If in the case you did not pass the test, he/she will have to wait for a week before choosing another slot and filing another application for a driving license.