Types of Motor Vehicles Permit in India

The permits granted for vehicles running on the Indian roads depends upon the type and the class of the vehicle. As far as permits are considered, the type of vehicle is divided into goods vehicles and passenger vehicles. Here, we will discuss the types of permits for both the types of vehicles in detail.

 Permits for Goods Vehicles

The various types of permits available for a goods vehicle are as follows:

Goods carrier permits:

Good carrier permits are granted under Section 79 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, to a goods vehicle that operates within the state. Such permits are applicable only for a specified area in the state.

Counter Signatures of Goods Carrier permits:

These permits are initially issued by one state and later endorsed in another state by the concerned State or Regional Transport Authority under section 88 of Motor Vehicle Act, 1988. Given the Delhi Government Notification number F. PA/JCV/OPS/Tpt./1613/05/1447 dated 5th January 2006, counter signatures are not being done under section 88 of Motor Vehicle Act, 1988 for those goods vehicles that are registered in other states and having a gross vehicle weight up to 7500 kg. if not running on clean fuel.

National Permits:

The national permits are issued to goods and vehicles to enable them to move outside of the home state. It is issued for a minimum of four continuous states (including the home state) under rule 86 & 87 of Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989. For obtaining such permits the maximum age of a vehicle should not be more than 12 years. However, the maximum age in the case of a multi-axle vehicle should not exceed 15 years. To apply for this permit, the applicant needs to fill the form via Form 46 and Form 48.

Permits for Passenger Vehicles

The various types of permits available for a passenger vehicle are as follows:

Auto Rickshaw and Taxi Permits:

These permits are issued by MLO (AR) Burari for carrying passengers to various places within Delhi. Fares are levied as per the fare meter mounted on the vehicles and as determined by STA. 

Prevailing fares are as under:

  • For Auto-Rickshaw: Rs. 8 for the first kilometre and thereafter Rs. 3.50 for every additional kilometre.
  • For Taxi: Rs. 10 for the first kilometre and thereafter Rs. 5 for every additional kilometre.

Maxi Cab Permit:

A Maxi Cab permit is issued to a type of vehicle that takes passengers via a fixed route in Delhi. These fares are decided by the STA and the capacity of the vehicle including the driver should not exceed more than 13.

Phat Phat Sewa:

Such permits were earlier issued to motor vehicles that were three-wheeled and had Harley Davidson engines. Now, these are issued to the vehicles that ply on a fixed route and have a maximum capacity of 10 people including the driver. The fares are determined by the STA.

Eco-Friendly Sewa:

It is issued to those vehicles that have three-wheels and run on battery. These vehicles can have a seating capacity up to 11 including the driver.

 Contract Carriage Buses Permits (Chartered Buses):

This is the most common type of permit that is used for hire and reward purpose. The permit holder can operate under a contract with his client for a fixed destination within Delhi or outside Delhi. For this, an agreement should be executed between the clients and the operators and the list of passengers should also be available with the driver of the bus. The permit holder is not allowed to pick the passengers other than those mentioned in the list. Such types of buses are also known as Chartered Buses. Contract Carriage Buses Permits (Chartered Buses) are issued under section 74 of Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. The applicant needs to apply on form PCA along with other formalities.

Stage Carriage Permits:

These permits are issued by the government of Delhi to buses that travel on different routes of the city picking up passengers. The DTC and private buses come under this category. Stage carriage permits are issued under section 70 of Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. The fares are determined by STA. The fares are as follows:

  • Rs. 2 for up to 4 Kilometres
  • Rs. 5 from 4 to 8 Kilometres
  • Rs. 7 from 8 to 12 Kilometres 
  • Rs. 10 from 12 to 16 Kilometres

Temporary Permits:

Such permits are issued to the vehicles under Section 87 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. It allows the vehicle to operate outside of Delhi for a limited period. The circumstances in which a vehicle is issued a temporary permit are as follows:

  • If the vehicle is traveling outside of the city and carrying passengers for a religious event or convention.
  • If the vehicle is traveling outside of the city for a seasonal business purpose.
  • If the vehicle is traveling outside of the city so that a person can apply for the renewal of a permit or resolve a pending decision.

To procure a permit for motor cabs, the following criteria should be met:

  • The cab colour should be white.
  • The seating capacity should be five.
  • The applicant applying for this permit should have an office with a telephone at a suitable location such that passengers can book it.
  • The applicant must have enough money to buy the permit for his/her vehicle. The applicant also must have the parking space for the vehicle.

Rent-a-cab permits:

This scheme began in India in 1989. To get a Rent a cab permit, the applicant must meet the following criteria:

  • The applicant must have a working telephone.
  • He/she must have a legal parking space.
  • They should have experience in transport and passenger business.
  • The applicant must own at least 50 cabs and all of them should be air-conditioned.
  • The passenger tax is paid in the state of operation by the applicant.

Institution/School Buses:

Under the societies act of 1960, Institution/School Buses permits are provided to those vehicles which are owned by educational institutions. The vehicles are painted in golden yellow colour and exempted from road tax.

All India Tourist Permit (AITP):

This permit is issued to the luxury buses which have a white colour with a blue ribbon of five centimetres width at the centre of the exterior of the body and the word 'Tourist' shall be inserted on two sides of the vehicle within a circle of sixty centimetres diameter.

The national permit for a vehicle expires in 9 years from the date of its issue for a motor cab and 8 years for any vehicle other than the motor cab. If the motor vehicle is replaced by another vehicle that is not older than 2 years, no renewal is required. Also, the vehicle needs to be equipped with a public address system, drinking water, push full back seats, fans, curtains, a separate driver cabin, etc.