Driving License application process in Goa
If you want to apply for a driving license in Goa, then below is the complete procedure that will guide you on how you can obtain services related to obtaining a driving license in the state.
Types of driving license in Goa
In the state of Goa, you can apply for the below-mentioned driving licenses if you are eligible.
- Learner’s/learning license: Before obtaining a permanent driving license in Goa, an applicant needs to apply for a learner’s license first. This is a temporary license with a validity of 6 months. It is issued when the applicant is in the process of learning a motor vehicle.
- Permanent driving license: After 1 month of getting a learner’s license, you can apply for a permanent license.
- Driving license for motorcycles without gear: You can apply for this kind of permanent driving license if you wish to ride a scooter or moped that does not have a manual gearbox. The applicants should be at least 16 years of age to procure such a license.
- Driving license for light motor vehicle: This class of driving license can be applied by the people who are willing to drive a light motor vehicle such as bikes or cars. To get this license, an applicant must be at least 18 years old.
Eligibility criteria to apply for driving license in Goa
- An individual who has attained the age of 16 can obtain a driving license for a motorcycle not exceeding an engine capacity of 50cc
- An individual who has attained the age of 18 can obtain a driving license for light motor vehicles
- An individual who has attained the age of 20 can obtain a driving license for heavy motor vehicles such as taxis, auto-rickshaws
- The person who is applying for a permanent driving license must possess a learner’s driving license
- The applicant should apply for a driving license 30 days after getting a learning license and within 180 days of the date of the issue mentioned on your learner’s licence
- He/she must be aware of all the traffic rules and regulations
Documents required for driving license in Goa
Applicants need to submit these documents while filing their application for a driving license in Goa-
- Medical certificate form 1 and form 1A
- Driving license application form 4 in case of a private vehicle
- Driving license application form 5 in case of a commercial vehicle
- 3 copies of passport size photographs
- Age and address proof documents such as passport, Aadhaar card, birth certificate, PAN card, etc
- Application fee
The process to apply for a driving license in Goa
- To apply for your license online in Goa, you need to follow these steps:
- Visit the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport and highway website at https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan
- Fill the online application form and attach all the supporting documents
- Pay the required fees which is Rs. 200
- After that, the document verification will be done, and then you will be issued the new driving license
- To apply for a driving license via an offline mode in Goa, you need to follow the below procedure. Please note, applicants are eligible to apply for a permanent driving license after holding a learner’s license for 30 days.
- Get an application form no 4 from the nearest RTO. Fill and submit it with relevant documents
- If you are applying for a commercial driving license, you will also need to submit form 5 i.e. driving certificate issued by a driving school or establishment
- Also, you would be required to pay a small fee of Rs. 200 to the RTO
- After that, an RTO official will assign a slot to you to undergo a driving license test. On passing the test, you will receive your driving license via post within 2-3 weeks
Steps to check driving license application status in Goa
- Checking the driving license status online -https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/ and select your state.
- Then, you would be asked some details such as driving license number, date of birth, and verification code
- After entering the above-mentioned details, press on “Check Status” to know more about the status of your application
- You have entered the correct details; the portal will display information about the present status of your driving license application
Checking the driving license status offline
Applicants can also check their driving license status by visiting their nearest Regional Transport Office in Goa. To know the present application status, you would need to provide necessary information which includes your learner’s license number and the application number.
How can you make corrections in your driving license online?
If you wish to change any information such as misspelled names, or address printed on their license, you need to forward a written application along with the relevant documents with the correct information. Remember, this can only be done in the same RTO which issued your original license. Once approved, you can collect your license with the correct information on the same day. You will be charged a small fee for this which you need to check with your RTO.
How to apply for a duplicate driving license in Goa?
If your driving license has been stolen or misplaced, you can issue a duplicate driving license by contacting your issuing authority who issued your original driving license first. If your license is lost and is already expired by more than six months, in that case, you need authorization from the Head Quarter of the Transport Department of your state.
Documents required to obtain a duplicate license in Goa
- Details of the driving license i.e. the DL number, date of birth
- Passport size photographs
- Copy of a FIR if the driving license is stolen
- Application form LLD
- Age and address proof documents
- Original driving license if the applicant is applying for driving license in case of damage.
Driving license renewal in Goa
The applicants need to renew their driving license before its expiry date which is usually 20 years from the date of the issue. You can renew your license either online or offline according to your convenience.
- Visit the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport and highway website: https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/
- Now fill the form with the required details and attach the supporting documents as well
- Pay the required fee i.e. Rs. 200
- Once your documents will be verified, you will be issued the new driving license.
- To renew your license offline, follow these steps-
- Visit your nearest RTO office and collect the application form for driving license renewal (i.e. application Form 9)
- Fill the details and submit it to the officer-in-charge
- Produce the original documents for verification and on successful verification, your driving license will be renewed
The test procedure for obtaining a driving license in Goa
The test procedure in Goa is also the same as it is conducted in other states of the country. Any individual who is applying for a driving license needs to pass these tests. The test procedure for two-wheelers, three-wheelers, and four-wheelers are given below.
Test for Two-Wheeler & Three-Wheeler
For this test, the applicant needs to ride the vehicle within a boundary and make a pattern of ‘8’ without getting in contact with the poles set at the corners. The applicant even needs to show proper gear change, correct cornering or reversing, and making a ‘figure of eight’ without touching their feet on the ground. The test is conducted in front of a motor vehicle inspector. If he is satisfied with the performance of the candidate, the candidate will be issued the license within one or two weeks at their registered address.
Test for Four-Wheeler
The test procedure for a four-wheeler is also the same as that of a two or three-wheeler. The applicant needs to drive along the marked ‘H’ without touching the columns. After clearing the test, the candidate is issued the driving license on their address within one or two weeks.
The tests for two, three, and four-wheelers are conducted under the guidelines under Rule 15 of the Central Vehicle Motor Act (1989). In case the candidate fails in either of the tests, a re-test is conducted within 7 days, for which a nominal fee is charged.