Driving License application process in Assam
Applying for a driving license in Assam is hassle-free and easy. The process is simple and not time-consuming if you apply by following the right approach. So, here we have provided all the details of how you can get a driving license in the state of Assam.
Types of driving license in Assam
- Learner’s/learning license: Before applying for a permanent driving license in Assam, an applicant needs to apply for a learner’s license first. This is a temporary license which has a validity of only 6 months. It is issued when the applicant is in the process of learning a motor vehicle.
- Permanent driving license: After 1 month of getting a learner’s Licence (i.e. from the date of issue), an applicant can apply for a permanent driving license.
- Driving license for motorcycles without gear: Applicants can apply for this kind of a license if he/she wants to ride a scooter or moped without gear. To get this license, applicants should be at least 16 years of age.
- Driving license for light motor vehicle: This driving license can be obtained by the individuals who are willing to drive a light motor vehicle such as bikes or cars. To procure this license, an applicant must be at least 18 years old.
- Driving license for transport vehicles: The individuals who want to drive carrier vehicles such as private service vehicles, trucks, taxis, etc can apply for this driving license. The applicants who are at least 21 years old are eligible to apply.
Assam driving license eligibility criteria
To apply for a driving license in Assam, you need to meet the below-mentioned eligibility:
- The individuals applying for a driving license in Assam must have attained the age of 18 years
- The applicant must hold a learning license before applying for a permanent driving license
- The applicant should apply for a driving license 30 days after getting a learning license and within 180 days of the date of the issue mentioned on your learner’s licence.
- To apply for a driving license for the commercial vehicle, an individual should have attained the age of 20 years
- To apply for a driving license for motor vehicles not exceeding 50cc, an individual should have attained the age of 16 years.
Documents required for driving license in Assam
The following are the documents which you would need while applying for a driving license in Assam:
- Passport size photographs
- PAN card copy
- A copy of the medical fitness certificate
- A copy of the parent/guardian’s written consent with date and signature if the applicant is a minor
- A copy of the address proof i.e. Passport/Life insurance policy/Voter ID/Ration card
- A copy of the birth certificate (School certificate/Birth certificate/Affidavit signed by the executive magistrate)
The process to apply for a driving license in Assam
- Visit the website at https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/ and download the application form for driving license.
- Fill the form and submit it at the nearest RTO along with the supporting documents.
- If you do not have a learner’s license, you can book a slot for a learner’s license test. For this, you will have to select the district and the test centre where you wish to take the test.
- Click on the submit button to get a copy of the application form. Go to the test centre on the prescribed date along with a printout of your application form and other required documents.
- To apply for a driving license via an offline mode in Assam, you would need to follow the below procedure. Please note, applicants are eligible to apply for a permanent driving license after holding a learner’s license for 30 days.
- Get an application form no 4 from the nearest RTO. Fill and submit it along with the supporting documents
- If you are applying for a commercial driving license, you will also need to submit form 5 i.e. driving certificate issued by a driving school or establishment.
- Pay the application fees
- Once the documents are verified, you will be assigned a slot from the RTO to undergo a driving license test. On passing the test, you will receive your driving license via post within 2-3 weeks.
Steps to check driving license application status in Assam
After applying for a driving license, applicants can also check its status whether online or offline as per their convenience.
- Visit the website at https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/
- Now, you will be asked to provide the following information such as your driving license application number and date of birth
- After entering the above-mentioned details, press on “Get Details” to know more about the status of your application
- If you have entered the correct details; the portal will display information about the present status of your driving license application.
Applicants can also check their driving license status via an offline mode. They can do so by visiting their nearest Regional Transport Office in Assam. To know your license's application status, you would need to provide necessary information which includes your license number and the application number.
How to apply for a duplicate driving license?
If you have lost or misplaced your driving license, then you can apply for a duplicate driving license in Assam. Follow these steps to get that:
The applicant needs to fill the LLD form and submit it to the RTO where the driving license was obtained or where it was last renewed.
Along with the LLD form, applicants are also required to submit the three copies of their recent passport-sized photographs and appropriate fees
The applicant will also have to present the original copy of their driving license while applying for its duplicate copy.
Driving license renewal in Assam
If your driving license has expired, then you need to renew it within 30 days from the expiry date. You can renew your driving license in the concerned RTO office by following the below mentioned simple steps:
- Visit the website at https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/and the select your state
- Click on ‘apply online’ and then click on ‘services on driving license’
- Click on continue and then download the application form.
- Fill and submit the form along with the relevant documents and fee
- The concerned RTO will validate and approve your application for driving license renewal and the new driving license will be sent to the residence of the applicant through the post within 2 to 3 weeks.
The test procedure for obtaining a driving license in Assam
While applying for a permanent license in the state of Bihar, applicants are required to go through a certain test procedure. The driving license test is conducted in the presence of a
motor vehicle inspector who has the responsibility to check the applicant's driving skills. To appear for the test, the applicant is required to bring his/her vehicle for which you have applied for the license. If the applicant passes the test, then he/she will receive the driving license within a few days. If the applicant fails the test, then he can reappear for the test after one week.