How to get a duplicate Registration Certificate

It is a well-known fact that drivers cannot drive their vehicles on the Indian roads without having a valid RC i.e. a Registration Certificate. So, if your RC has been lost, damaged, or mutilated, you need to issue yourself a duplicate registration certificate. You can easily get the certificate by following the below-mentioned procedure here.

Before issuing a duplicate registration certificate, you should be aware of the cases where you would require a duplicate RC-

  •  When you have the original RC but with a broken or missing chip, this RC is not valid.
  • When your RC has incorrect information such as HPA / HPT, Ownership serial, MFG year, etc.
  • The details/ information differs in Vahan Check from the original Registration Certificate.
  • When the CHASSIS number is not legible.
  • When you have misplaced or lost your RC.

What is the procedure to obtain the duplicate registration certificate?

  • Firstly, you will need to file a FIR at the nearest police station where you lost your RC.
  • After that, fill the Form 26 to apply for a duplicate registration certificate and take the printout.
  • Clear out all your pending payments as specified in Rule 81 of the Central Motor Vehicles Rules 1989.
  • Get a signature of the vehicle financier if you have purchased your vehicle on a loan.
  • Submit the duly filled Form 26 along with the supporting documents and complaint letter at the RTO office that issued you the original.

What are the documents required for getting a duplicate registration certificate?

Below mentioned are the documents which you would require while issuing a duplicate registration certificate:

  • Duly filled application form 26
  • Police certificate from the police department where the damage to your original RC has happened
  • Pollution under control certificate stating that the pollution is under control
  • Valid insurance certificate*
  • Proof of address*
  • If the motor vehicle is commercial, in that case, a challan clearance from the traffic police and Enforcement Transport Wing is also required.
  • A document stating the tax clearance from the Accounts Department is required in the case of commercial vehicles*
  • Attested copy of PAN Card or Form 60 & Form 61 (as applicable) *
  • Chassis & Engine Pencil Print*
  • Signature Identification of owner*
  • An affidavit stating that RC is lost and has not been impounded*
  • The copies need to be attested by an MLA/Nigam 
  • Parishad/Gazetted officer/Public Notary. After all the documents are received and verified successfully, the registering authority will issue a duplicate registration certificate.

Please note the documents marked with an asterisk (*) may be required in some states.

I hope the above-mentioned information might have helped you to know how to get a duplicate RC in an event where you lost your RC.