Driving license application process in Bihar
Getting a driving license in the state of Bihar is an easy if you know about all the processes. You can easily apply for the license online or offline as per your convenience by contacting the Regional Transport Office (RTO) of your state. To make things easier for you, here we are presenting a comprehensive guide of how to apply for a driving license in Bihar.
Types of driving license in Bihar
These are the different types of driving licenses that you can be issued in Bihar:
- Learning license: Applicants need to get a learning license before applying for a permanent driving license. Such a license is temporary having validity of only 6 months. It is issued to those individuals who are in the process of learning to drive a motor vehicle.
- Permanent driving license: After 1 month of getting a learner’s license, an applicant becomes eligible to apply for a permanent driving license.
- Driving license issued for a motorcycle without gear: Such kind of a license can be issued by the applicants who are willing to drive vehicles without gear such as mopeds or scooters. You must be at least 16 years of age to get this license.
- Driving license issued for a light motor vehicle (LMV): A light driving license is issued to those individuals who wish to drive a geared two-wheeler or four-wheeled motor vehicle. You must be at least 18 years of age to get this license.
- Driving license issued for a heavy motor vehicle (HMV): This kind of a license is issued to those individuals who wish to drive heavy motor vehicles such as a trailer, lorry, truck, etc. You must be at least 21 years of age to get this license.
Bihar driving license eligibility criteria
- Anyone who is 18 years old can apply for a permanent driving license in Bihar
- If you wish to drive a transport vehicle, you must have completed 20 years of age and have an experience of driving a non-transport vehicle for at least 1 year
- You must hold a learning license
- You can give an application for obtaining a permanent driving license only after 30 days or within 180 days of obtaining a learner’s license
- Applicant should be aware of all the traffic rules and regulations
Documents required for driving license in Bihar
The process to apply for a driving license in Bihar
- Visit the state's transport website at https://state.bihar.gov.in/transport/CitizenHome.html and download the application form for driving license.
- Fill the form and submit it at the nearest RTO along with the supporting documents.
- If you do not have a learner’s license, you can book a slot for a learner’s license test. For this, you will have to select the district and the test centre where you wish to take the test
- Click on the submit button to get a copy of the application form.
- Go to the test centre on the prescribed date along with a printout of your application form and other required documents.
- Visit your nearest RTO centre and get an application form no 4. Fill and submit it along with the supporting documents
- If you are applying for a commercial driving license, you will also need to submit form 5 i.e. driving certificate issued by a driving school or establishment.
- Pay the application fees
- Post document verification, you will be assigned a slot from the RTO to undergo a driving license test. On passing the test, you will receive your driving license via post within 2-3 weeks
Steps to check driving license application status in Bihar
If you want to check your driving license application status in Bihar, you can easily do so by following the below procedure.
Checking the driving license status online
- Step1: Visit the website of the Transport Department of Bihar at https://state.bihar.gov.in/transport/CitizenHome.html. It will direct you to another site at (https://parivahan.gov.in/rcdlstatus/?pur_cd=101)
- Step 2: Then, you would be asked some details such as driving license number, date of birth, and verification code
- Step 3: After entering the above-mentioned details, press on “Check Status” to know more about the status of your application
- Step 4: You have entered the correct details; the portal will display information about the present status of your driving license application
Checking the driving license status offline
Applicants can also check their driving license status by visiting their nearest Regional Transport Office in Bihar. To know the present application status, you would need to provide necessary information which includes your learner’s license number and the application number.
How to apply for a duplicate driving license in Bihar?
If you have lost or misplaced your driving license or it is stolen, you can apply for a duplicate license in Bihar. To start with the process, you need to follow the below-mentioned procedure:
- Download and fill the following form http://transport.bih.nic.in/Forms/Form-LLD.pdf
- Submit your form along with the fees and the following documents such as a copy of original driving license if you have one, FIR copy, Address, ID or age proofs, your passport-sized photographs:
Driving license renewal in Bihar
- Visit the transport department website at (http://transport.bih.nic.in/Forms/Form2.pdf) and download this form
- Fill and submit the form along with the supporting documents and renewal fee which is Rs. 250
- The concerned RTO will validate and approve your application for driving license renewal and the new driving license will be sent to the residence of the applicant through the post within 2 to 3 weeks
The test procedure for driving license in Bihar
The state of Bihar requires an applicant to undergo a driving license test to be eligible to obtain a driving license in the state. The driving license test is conducted in the presence of a motor vehicle inspector who has the responsibility to check the applicant's driving skills. To appear for the test, the applicant is required to bring his/her vehicle for which you have applied for the license. If the applicant passes the test, then he/she will receive the driving license within a few days. If the applicant fails the test, then he can reappear for the test after one week.