RuPay Debit Cards
The RuPay debit cards have emerged as a stronger contender to VISA and MasterCard in India. The board for Payment and Settlement system in India was established in 2005 after the RBI realized the importance of streamlining all the payment systems under one roof. This gradually becomes the reason for the formation of the National Payment Corporation of India as per the direction of the Reserve Bank of India. The RuPay debit cards were incorporated in 2012. Since then, seen colossal growth and is becoming a favorite among the Indians. Read on to know more about the Swadeshi competition of VISA and MasterCard.
Features of RuPay Debit Cards
- Over 10,000 e-commerce sites are accepting transactions using RuPay debit cards and more than 8 Lakh POS terminals are accepting the cards.
- Welcomed 1.8 lakh merchant terminals in India.
- Ensure faster transactions as compared to the debit cards in the market.
- RuPay cards are offered by the public sector, private banks, co-operative, and rural banks.
- When you make a transaction with RuPay cards, the transaction fee that is charged to the merchant is 0.01%.
Benefits of RuPay Debit Cards in India
- Information is secured: The customer data and transaction details linked with RuPay debit cards remain within India.
- Safe Transactions: RuPay Debit cards guarantee the security of information. The SMS alerts and notifications sent on the customer’s phone are more secured.
- Customized designs: RuPay cards have been customized keeping in mind the product and service requirements of Indians.
- Greater reach in rural areas: Easy application process of RuPay debit cards
- Payment Solutions across Platforms: The RuPay debit card is designed to provide complete interoperability between payment channels including mobile technology, ATMs, cheques, etc.
- NPCI is also planning to offer EMV cards, contactless credit, and debit cards under the RuPay label.
- Easy ticket bookings: With IRCTC RuPay prepaid debit cards, customers can book train tickets without any hassles.
The eligibility criteria to apply for RuPay Debit Cards in India
- One gets RuPay debit cards in any of the banks be it public banks, regional banks, and rural banks.
- The main banks that are offering RuPay debit card facilities are Central Bank of India, HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank, State Bank of India, Bank of India, Union Bank of India, and Punjab National Bank are some of the Indian banks offering RuPay cards.
- It is not necessary to have a savings account to apply for a RuPay Debit Card. You can open an account under the PMJDY scheme (Prime Minister Jan Dhan Yojana).
- You need basic KYC documents like ID proof and address proof to avail a RuPay debit card.
The documents required to apply for a RuPay Debit Card are:
- Address proof
- Proof of identity
- 2 passport size photographs
- Customers with accounts in the banks mentioned above can obtain a RuPay debit card by filling out a form at their bank branch, requesting a RuPay debit card.
Tips to use RuPay Debit Card for making online transactions
- Always first register yourself at the eCommerce payments before using the RuPay debit cards for any of the transactions.
- Once the payment screen is in front of you, select RuPay card as the payment option.
- You will be required to provide the details of your card such as card number, expiry date, and CVV number.
- The cardholder then receives an OTP on his or her registered mobile number and email ID
- Then you need to put the OTP and make a selection of some images. Must remember all the selected images for all the transactions.
- You are also required to enter a phrase of up to 40 characters and remember the same for any future transactions.
- You must then enter your ATM PIN using mouse clicks.
- For some banks, a RuPay Premium Pay Secure Service pop-up window is displayed on the screen, and you are registered while you make the transaction.